European stocks pick up, dollar slips, investors focus on Russia-Ukraine By Reuters


© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: A screen shows Nikkei index after a ceremony marking the end of trading in 2021 at the Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE) in Tokyo, Japan December 30, 2021. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon


LONDON (Reuters) – European stocks opened slightly higher on Tuesday, the dollar eased and gold was just below an 8-month high as investors remained focused on the risk of Russia invading Ukraine.

The United States said on Sunday that Russia could invade Ukraine any time, a prospect that has prompted investors to sell riskier assets so far this week.

Investor risk appetite improved slightly on Monday when Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov suggested that Moscow should continue along the diplomatic path to resolve the tensions.

Russia’s defence ministry was quoted as saying that some troops adjacent to Ukraine are returning to their bases.

After stocks fell in the U.S. and Asian sessions, there were signs of sentiment improving in early European trading.

The MSCI world equity index, which tracks shares in 50 countries, was up 0.2% on the day at 0839 GMT, its first gain after three consecutive days of drops of more than 0.9%.

The was up around 1.1% on the day.

“Comments from the Russian Foreign Minister that there was still mileage in negotiation and similar diplomatic efforts from Western nations looks to be helping to dampen down the anxiety that has been gripping markets in recent days.

“Nevertheless, until there is some more concrete resolution to this issue, it is unlikely that we will see a strong rally in risk sentiment,” wrote ING strategists Iris Pang and Robert Carnell in a client note.

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz is due to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin – part of a frantic push by Western diplomats to try and stop a potential attack.

Gold – a safe-haven asset – rose to an eight-month high during the Asian session but pulled back as European markets opened.

Oil prices also fell down from the seven-year highs hit on Monday.

Investors also focused on the trajectories for major central banks to tighten monetary policy.

U.S. Federal Reserve officials are split over how aggressively to raise rates.

Markets are pricing a 60.5% chance of a 50 basis points hike and a 39.5% chance of a 0.25% hike at the U.S. central bank’s March meeting.

The was down 0.2% on the day at 96.046, pulling back from the two-week high it hit on Monday.

The euro was up 0.3% at $1.1341 and riskier currencies such as the Australian dollar and British pound also strengthened.

UK employment fell in the October-to-December period while earnings fell by 0.8% in real terms, official data showed.

The broke back above 2%, while European government bond yields were 2-3 bps higher on the day.

Disclaimer: Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. All CFDs (stocks, indexes, futures) and Forex prices are not provided by exchanges but rather by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual market price, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Therefore Fusion Media doesn`t bear any responsibility for any trading losses you might incur as a result of using this data.

Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *